(Sub Class 820/801)

Partner Visa

Spouse or de facto partner of the primary visa holder can apply for this visa. This visa is applicable only for people who currently hold a Partner Visa (Sub Class 820/801).

Overview of Costs

The charges for this visa have already been included in your application for the combined temporary and permanent partner visa.

You may have to incur other costs for health checks or police certificates.

Partner Visa Bachelors

Visa Application Processing Time

Partner Visa Masters
  • Ninety percent of applications – Seventeen months
  • Seventy – five percent of applications - Eleven months

The assessment will take longer if;

  • you provide incomplete documents
  • more information is needed
  • it takes time to verify your information


You and your family must abide by all Australian laws.


Visa Label

It will be digitally linked to your passport.

Partner Visa

Frequently Asked Questions

What can you do with this visa?

  • You can remain in Australia indefinitely.
  • You can work in Australia.
  • You can study in Australia.
  • You can register for Medicare, public healthcare scheme in Australia
  • You can sponsor family members to enter Australia
  • You can travel in and out of Australia for 5 years
  • You can apply, if eligible, for Australian citizenship and attend free English language classes given by Adult Migrant English Program.

Can I travel outside Australia after getting this visa?

  • You will have the permission to travel to and fro in Australia for five years from the date the Department of Home Affairs grants you the visa.
  • After the initial five years, you will need to apply for and be provided a Resident Return (RRV) to re-enter Australia.
  • You can also consider applying for Australian citizenship to avoid such hassle. You can check eligibility requirements for citizenship here.


*See your travel facility date and when it ends here.

How long can you stay?

  • The visa is permanent and permits you to stay in the country indefinitely.
  • You will be given permanent residency the day this visa is granted.
  • If you are outside Australia, your permanent residency starts on the day you enter the country.

Can I include my family members under this visa?

  • When you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visa, your dependent child can be included in your application.
  • In case you did not include your dependent child, you can still add them to your application before the decision on your subclass 801 is made provided the child holds a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) and is in Australia.
  • They must meet the Department of Home Affair’s health requirement and if the child is above 16, they must also meet a character requirement.

*Attach Form 1003 Application by subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa to your ImmiAccount after completion.

What is a partner visa (subclass 820/801)?What is a partner visa (subclass 820/801)?

The Partner visa program allows married or de facto partners of Australian citizens/permanent residents to live in Australia. It has a temporary (820) and permanent (801) stage.

What documents are required for the 820/801 application?

Key documents include evidence of your partner relationship (cohabitation, joint finances etc.), character documents, health and biometrics, and proof of sponsor eligibility.

How long does the partner visa process take?

The temporary 820 visa is generally processed within 7-12 months. After 2 years on the 820, applicants apply for the permanent 801 stage.

What is the financial requirement for a partner visa?

Your Australian sponsor must be able to meet minimum income thresholds and show adequate funds to support themselves and their partner.

Is there a minimum relationship period for 820/801?

Yes, applicants must demonstrate an ongoing de facto relationship of at least 12 months prior to lodging the application.

Are there language requirements for a partner visa?

There are no set English language test requirements for the 820/801 visas, however functional English ability may be assessed.

Can my partner's visa be extended or renewed?

The 820 temporary visa is valid for around 2 years until a decision is made on the permanent 801 stage. Extensions may be possible.

Speak to our Team

Submit the form below and our team will contact you for a FREE consultation.

    Student VisaVisitor VisaPartner VisaRegional VisaIndependent VisaTemporary Visa